Arc Voltage (Re: ark voltage)

Tesla list wrote:

> <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

> I'm kind of curious about the voltage coming off the toroid...
> Is it still 70kV/inch (35kV/Cm) ?

	As you suspect:
	there are many variables:

	volts/distance varies with:
 		Frequency
		Rise time
		Electrode shape
		Voltage

	When all of these are well defined, gap length can
	be read in terms of (approximate) voltage.  Essentially
	none are well defined in Tesla coil work.  Additionally,
	the repetitive hits into the spark channel can result
	in the streamer/spark growing with each hit, analagous
	(surprise_not) to the way a lighting bolt grows...

> It doesn't seem like my wimpy 20" sparks are (20 * 70,000)=
> 1,400,000 Volts!

	I'm not sure I'd call 20" sparks wimpy...

	Better correlation seems to come by comparing
	power in to spark length, than voltage, as such.

> The large coil on eBay advertises  "600,000 volts - 8-10 foot arcs"

	best
	dwp