Re: shaded pole sync report

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kreld-at-juno-dot-com>

John, all

  I tried a "c" frame shaded pole motor one time, and was able to lock it
at 3600 RPM, but there was no torque left over to run anything.  Seems
like a larger stack "c" frame motor might work, one with a 1" stack
lamination or more.

  I have also done a 1550 RPM shaded pole motor, Dayton brand, 3.3" dia,
1.3 amp -at-115 volt 1/30 HP with plain old bronze bushings.  Only two flats
were made on the rotor, and it works great, locks in at 1800 RPM and will
spin a 4" x 1/4" phenolic disk with four #6 machine screw electrodes for
a 1 kW Coil.   I did use edge mounted electrodes on the disk with a
aluminum band connecting the electrodes, so end play is not a problem.

The 4 pole (1550 RPM) motors do have more torque than the 2 pole (3450
RPM) motors in my experience which might be better for small rotories.

  And no bulky capacitors for the motor to run, some small capacitor
split phase motor cap's are as large as the motor.

> Coiling in Oklahoma

Kevin E.