Re: science fairs

Indeed this would work for display, but if you read the rules carefully, it
says that the work being done has to meet the requirements, not just the
display.  If your project was, say, injecting carcinogens into sixth
graders, it wouldn't matter that you didn't display the carcinogens, the
problem would be with the use of them in the first place.

The real point is that you'd hate to go to all the trouble of building the
totally cool coil, doing all the research, writing it up, entering in the
school fair (usually the first step) (where they don't always check this
stuff..), winning and getting selected to move up to the next tier (i.e.
GSDSEF or ISEF), and then getting your application bounced because you
didn't get the hazmat cert signed at the beginning.

For all you know, there is some well meaning (but inappropriate) rule
prohibiting the use of spray cans by minors, so when you sprayed the acrylic
on your secondary, you just shafted yourself.

Been there, had the problems, spent much time getting it straightened out,
and this was with a fairly benign project (measuring EEGs on kids) in the
kinder, gentler, less-litigious days in the seventies, and getting caught
out for not having the necessary "experimentation with human subjects
review" (or whatever it was, I don't recall 20 years later) before I
started.  Of course, this IS just part of the learning experience of being
in a science fair.

Moral of the story: Read the rules BEFORE you start.