Re: Oil Caps

Actually, there's lots of info on oil dielectric caps in the archives.  The
breakdown voltage of oil isn't infinite, however.  Figure on 100 kV/cm as a
starting point.  It depends a lot on dissolved/suspended water, gases, and
particulates.  For liquid insulators, purity is important.
http://home.earthlink/~jimlux/hv/insulliq.htm has more info.

Suitable oil (i.e. electrical insulating oil, like Shell Diala AX) runs
around $25 for a 5 gallon pail.  You can also use mineral oil from the feed
or drug store, but you DO have an issue then with water, and the price is
about the same.

Castor oil is used in some capacitors, the primary advantage being higher
epsilon (ca 4), for more C in a given size.  The breakdown is about the
same as most other insulating liquids, but the cost is higher, particularly
in small lots (I suspect that like most other liquids, it's about the same
cost in 1000 gallon truckload lots: $2-3/gallon)

In a classic oil insulated capacitor, the plates are spaced by kraft paper
(i.e. thin brown paper), but oil is actually the dielectric.  For TC use,
most use polyethylene as the dielectric in combination with the oil.  For
any layered dielectric, more thin layers is better than 1 thick layer (so a
defect/pinhole, etc. in one layer doesn't cause breakdown)  Plastic bags
have been used, as has various sheet polyethylene materies, and so forth.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Johnson, Jeffrey D -at- PWC by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jeffrey.d.johnson-at-l-3com-dot-com>