Re: Secondary runners

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Robyn,
      12" is about all I've been able to get from a 9/30 NST also, and I too
am only building "small" (12" high) coils. I've met my original goal of
getting sparks as long as my coil is high, but had to go to higher powers
than the plans I made my first coil from indicated. Some day I will try
for 2X (ie 24" sparks from a 12" high coil), but not in the near future.

I too had arcs racing down my secondary until I went to a flat primary, so get
rid of the 30-degree conical.

Also, I make a fixed connection to the outside turn of the primary, and my
variable connection for tuning is on an inside turn. This way the coupling
between primary and secondary is minimized - which helps eliminate the racing
sparks some more.

If you try some other spark gaps let us know the outcome, I've only tried
static gaps so far, and not even a blown one (but I have experimented with
various gap materials, and so far tungsten-carbide is best by far).

If you ever do get longer sparks, let us know how, since there are always
more things to try than I have time for!

-Peter Lawrence.