Re: Microwave parts coil (need help please!!)

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Tom,

Based on your comments, I think the tank cap is too
big. Remember, as the tank cap gets bigger, you need
fewer turns on the primary to get in tune. Your tank
cap may be so big at .31uF, that even one primary turn
is too many, making tuning impossible. Your new tank
cap is 31 times bigger than your original .01uF cap,
so your primary turns should decrease in proportion.
Got any more MOT caps you can put in series? A wide
topload with a breakout point might help, as the added
"top hat" capacitance might get your primary turns up
to at least one. It's worth a try.

It might not be possible to get good performance from
your existing secondary using 4kvac MOT power. You
might have to build a new Tesla coil optimized for the
MOT supply in order to get good results. I've learned
by tinkering that low voltage/high current MOT coils
are special beasts, requiring a design approach
different from that of NST-based coils.

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg

http://dailynews.yahoo-dot-com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/