Re: Trans on ebay

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Pete and all,

This pulse transformer is typically part of a RADAR system. A synthetic HV
transmission line (called a pulse forming network or PFN) is charged to a
high voltage, then discharged through the primary of the pulse transformer,
usually by a gas tube switch (a thyratron). The PFN is actually a network
of HV capacitors and inductors that's designed to approximate the behavior
of a length of HV transmission line. When the thyratron is "fired", energy
stored in the capacitors in the PFN is converted to a relatively "square"
pulse of high voltage and high current which drives the primary of the
pulse transformer. The pulse transformer then steps up this voltage pulse
to drive a microwave oscillator tube.

The duration of the pulse is a function of the size of the inductances and
capacitances in the PFN, and is typically 1-2 microseconds or less. This
pulse transformer also uses a special bifilar winding which permits 60 or
400 Hz power to provide steady filament power to the microwave oscillator
that's connected to the HV output of the pulse transformer (a magnetron or
klystron). The circuit generates a pulse of microwave energy which is then
guided to the antenna of the RADAR system. Peak power is can easily be of
the order of megawatts or 10's of megawatts. A pulse transformer is an
interesting device to experiment with, but is probably of rather limited
use for Tesla Coiling. But they sure are neat looking devices... :^)

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering