Re: MOT+NST=???

Original poster: "Jan Florian Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> ok, i find that the 20mA output on my NST and uA output from my flyback is
> quite weak.  if i put an MOT in parallel with any of these transformers,

Won't work.

> would the NST secondary, overwhelmed by 500mA from the from the MOT, burn???

No. The NST secondary has a larger impedance than the MOT secondary, and
the max current the NST secondary could draw at 50/60Hz and kV input
voltage is those 20mA.

Paralleling directly probably wont work as the MOT isolation will not like
those kilovolts from the NST! So actually the MOT might burn out.

What you could do instead is rectify the NST output, and rectify the MOT
output, and place these DC sources in parallel. This will boost the
initial charging of the tank cap up to MOT voltage. After that, only the
NST will charge the cap. Mind you that ALL diodes must have reverse
voltage ratings for some decent amount above NST peak output voltage (say,
20kVDC for 9kVac NST). NST diode rms current ratings can be 50mA, but for
the MOT diodes it must be rms MOT output current rating.

 - Jan
--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla