RE: SW variable cap measurements

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi

Yep. Made that mistake myself, though not on purpose. I had a SW cap in a
one gallon bucket. I thought I needed more capacitance to improve
performance, so grabbed a clean empty 5 gal. HDPE paint bucket that I had
used for the condenser (50' coil of 5/16 copper tubing with 1/4" flair
fitting sweated on each end, in the bucket, filled with ice) of my home made
recovery machine (refrigerant recovery, I worked for a
HVAC/appliance/refrigeration/commercial cooking equipment repair outfit at
the time) and filled it with SW and Bud longnecks filled with SW and poured
on some cheap motor oil. Fired up the TC and got nothing but foam in the
bucket, and several broken bottles. After scratching my head for a few, I
remembered that I used the "condenser" to store my chemicals in. (save space
in the van) Some high foaming coil cleaner had leaked into the bucket and
apparently been absorbed by the HDPE. Keep your oil and SW free of
contaminants, especially detergents and high powered surfactants!

later

deano