Primary circuit for a MOT powered coil

Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Hi all,

The UK Geek Group (well Henry, Aleks and Myself) are building am MOT powered
coil and I was wondering what people have experimented with in the way of
gap and cap. We am trying a load of options:

1) small gap, low BPS. 35nF cap, 100 BPS, tuned to 7 turns,
2) Medium cap, higher break rate. 50nF cap, 200BPS, 4 turns
3) Big cap, high bps, 100nF, 400-800 BPS.

I like the last option because I will get plasma flying out of the gap, lots
of moise. However I think that the best option would probably be to go for
the second option. What are people's thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. I am using those blue axial wound caps - the 1.6kV 68nF ones that
everyone seems to use over here