Re: bulk buy of super caps?

Original poster: "Mike Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

>  I've examined some charts and have seen that a15kv 0.05uF MMC
> might be as few as 4 sets of parallel capacitors. That is not exacly the
> equivalent of high current construction.

For our purposes it is plenty high enough.  The series resistance of a bank
such as this is quite low, though not as
low as commercially made caps.  You might check the manufacturers specs on
series resistance of one MMC, and see if 4
strings of 10 is comparable to 1 commercially made cap.  Nevertheless,
TCing does not require the incredibly fast or
controlled rise times of laser technology or pulse forming networks used in
laboratory high-energy research.  At
mechanical break rates, the difference between an MMC and a commercially
made cap would probably be unnoticeable given
an equivalent capacitance--voltage tolerance and current tolerance (as per
the spec sheets of both capacitors).  It
might be interesting, however, to compare the two.

            --Mike