Optimal Toroid Placement

Original poster: "Dave Kyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>

I just received my beautiful 24 x 6 spun aluminum toroid today (who says
money can't buy happiness ;-) and I am seeking your thoughts on best
practices for mounting it to the top of my coil. Note that I have yet to go
for first light as I am still working on several components (and having more
fun than I should doing so).

I hate the idea of drilling a mounting hole in the toroid. My thought is to
just set it directly on top of my six inch diameter coil. It seems to me
that there is really no need to fasten it down or use a support insulator as
it could just rest directly on a 6 inch diameter PVC end cap. I think a
copper disk glued to the top of an end cap with the coil wire attached to it
would provide a very good connection to the toroid.

I have read here that the bottom of the toroid should be even or slightly
below the top winding. If so the 3 inch high end cap would offer perfect
placement for the toroid above the last winding since the winding must stop
at the end cap.

The coil is already designed to friction fit into a 6 inch diameter PVC end
cap mounted to the wooden top of coil stand. In this way both the toroid and
coil can be easily removed for moving and storage of the base unit which
contains the bulk of the components less the control variacs.

You ideas and comments would be appreciated.

Dave

Dave Kyle
Austin, TX USA
Email: dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com