Re: strange charge

Tesla list wrote:

<Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

> Tesla used to refer often to 'condenser' coatings inside some of the
> bulbs he invented.

	He added 'tin foil' coatings inside.  cf Experiments Alternate
	Currents of high potential and frequency (or whatever the exact
	title is.  close  to that.)
  Perhaps he was correct in the terminology.

> > I have a Wimshurst machine capable of 15cm sparks or so and if i light a
> > florescent tube with it, then remove the tube and touch it in a darkened
> > room i can make it flash... but this is the interesting part.. if i
touch it
> > again, it flashes again; even if i move to another room (not ionized air
> > then) i think there is some method by which charge is stored inside the
bulb

	ANY dielectric will store some charge internal to itself.
	This is well known in precision (uVolt) Data Acquisition
	systems, not so well known elsewhere.

	(yes: related to the occasional discussion of electrets, etc....)
	(Purpose built electrets differ a bit, but the effect can be seen
	in other systems.)

	Also:
	The first touch will draw charge from the tube to the operator.
	This transfer will continue UNTIL THE OPERATOR IS AT THE
	POTENTIAL OF THE TUBE.  (Tube potential drops, operator
	potential rises.).  After a bit, the operator charge will
	leak off.  Touching again, will transfer more charge.
	The migration of charge off the tube results in a brief
	flash, notably as charge passes from the far end, thru the
	gas inside to get to the operator...  Migration stops when
	the voltages equalize.)

	best
	dwp