Re: MMC construction

Original poster: "Jason Michael Raycroft by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <raycroft-at-its.caltech.edu>

Original poster: "Paul Kidwell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<tmb-at-ieee-dot-org>

>The following link is to a page showing the MMC that I'm constructing.
>When done it will have 10 pcb's available, each pcb having 2 strings of
>14 caps.  The caps are .068uF 1.6kV (from the British bulk buy last year,
>I got 300 of them at about $0.31 USD each *including* shipping :)
>
>Let me know what you think.
>
>Paul
>
>http://www.cpriii-dot-com/tesla/mmc/

Paul -

First off, I'd like to say that your caps look great - as close to perfect
as you can get.

Second, where did you get the caps for such a good price? This fall, I
will guiding a group of four or five others in their construction of
their first coil.  I plan on having them build something in the 4" range
to get started, since for a coil that size, most of the materials will be
easy to come by.  After we get that working, I'd really like to make
something big - (already found a nice form:  12" dia. piece of PCV) - when
I'm back at school I'll have all of the tools to make some nice
components.  The most costly part of the project will be the caps, (I'll
need around 300, plus a few extras for other projects) so I'd really to
make as cheap an MMC as possible (I am a college student - money is
tight).

Thanks,

Jason Raycroft

Caltech