QuickTC Version 1.1 now available

Original poster: "Michael Rhodes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rhodes-at-fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th>

Hi David,

First I would like to thank you for your kind comments and suggestions.
Version 1.1 (final) is now available updated to include yours and others
comments.

Exe only: http://www.fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th/ftp/QuickTCmin1.1.zip 160k
Full: http://www.fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th/ftp/QuickTCfull1.1.zip 2.01M

I will address each point you have made within your comments below:

> Program for a "Beta" release is very good, graphics are much better then
other
> programs I've used.  Several additional comments...

   Again, thank you for the compliments.  Part of my job as a research
   physicist is to develop computer control, data acquisition and data
   analysis systems for particle physics systems (ion implanters, linear
   accelerators, etc.) and found writing this program a nice change.
   The GUI has to be written in such a way as that the non-computer literate
   operators have little problems understanding how the control program
   works.  Also prevent them from entering values that could be hazardous
   to them or the equipment (these machines operate from 150kVDC
   to 400kVDC).

> 1.  Allow panel to be enlarged to full screen magnification for us sight
>      impaired   ;^)

   I too am visually impaired (too much time staring at a computer monitor
   and writting programs like this:-)  I have addressed this and now you
   can resize most windows to any size you like or maximize to full screen.

> 2.  Some of the frequency outputs are red on blue background (almost
>      unreadable)! Check your screens and make sure that they are
>      legible and don't have clashing colors.

   This is why I need Beta testers. I test my program on two computers at
   two resolutions. I program on a 17" 1024x768 screen but switch to
   800x600 to see if there is any 'crunch' in the forms.  However, due to
   different systems having different sweep frequencies and color balance
   I need to rely upon a larger cross section of computers to correct any
   problems.  I have cleaned up the colors and contrasts and believe they
   are now much more legible and consistant.

>   I didn't see any crashes, but make sure your error trapping and GUI
>   annunciation of such is user friendly and / or doesn't cause the "Blue
>   Screen of  Death (BSD) syndrome.

   I have now gone through every input parameter and put either
  value constraints or warning messages to inform the user of the problem.
  One of the most common problems with programs that do a lot of
  calculations is the dreaded 'divide by zero' error.  I have corrected all
  of them?  I have a tendency to put off my error trapping code until
everything
  is written, bad habit.

> 3.  Wire 1/4 wavelength has virtually no bearing on resonant frequency of
>      resonator.

   Some explanation on my part is in order here.  I realize that 1/4
wavelength
   theory for TCs is no longer in vogue.  It has to do with the way I handle
   my internal calculations.  The secondary has a fixed inductance but a
   variable capacitance (Cself + Topload) where Topload is the variable.
   As such I need a seed resonance frequency as a start to calculate a total
   secondary capacitance.  My choice was to use the secondary wire length
   and calculate the frequency at 1/4 wavelength.  This is how I built my
   TC and it worked surprisingly well.  You can see it at
   http://www.fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th/tesla/index.html
   Afterwards you can modify the topload and the new (non 1/4 lambda)
   frequency will be used.  Perhaps my labeling is confusing.

>  Wire length in coil is good feature.
>  4.  Info on primary tank design and integral MMC calculator excellent.
>       Might want to add info for rotary (ASRSG, SRSG)  as well as
>      TSG design aids once we get technology to a little more mature
state...   :^)

    Since this program was written from code segments that I wrote as
    I needed them in designing my TC (static spark gap style) I was
    pressed to get that portion written.  I will investigate the other
    three types and see about adding them when I have more time.

> All and all, great first attempt!
>
> Regards
> Dave Sharpe TCBOR
> Chesterfield, VA. USA