Re: stacked poly cap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/5/01 6:49:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > I was thinking of building a stacked poly cap using the HDPE sheets
> > available
> > from McMaster-Carr. I wanted to use the 1/16" thick sheets. They are
> pretty
> > cheap ($1.67 I think.) Does anyone know what voltage the sheets should be
> > able to withstand? I haven't been able to find reliable information on
> the
> > dielectric strength of HDPE. Almost everything I have seen has a had a
> > different value for the dielectric strength. Also, I was wondering if
> > someone
> > could give me the formula for calculating the capacitance of a plate cap.
> >                                    Justin

Justin,

I have built rolled poly caps out of the .062" thick HDPE - and blew two of
them.  My opinion is that one layer of .062 is only good for 9 kv to 10 kv in
Tesla coil service.  Now, two layers of .062 is bullit proof.  Three layers
of .030 material would be ideal for 12 to 15 kv.

Ed Sonderman