Series resistors in TSG Controller

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

In my continuing experiments with the triggered gap controller
using "Terry's" circuit and also the circuit with the modified
dimmer to bring out a neutral, I tried the series resistor mod
as someone had suggested.

Right at the trigger transformer/capacitor I placed 1 ohm, 10
watt resistors in each of the two leads coming from the control
box.  In "Terry's" circuit which I had been using a dummy load
of 150 ohms to stabalize things, I was able to remove the dummy
load entirely with the series resistors in place, and had more
usable range of the dimmer's control knob.  In my "modified"
dimmer circuit with the neutral, I noticed barely any change.

I'm still waiting for the MOV's to arrive (Terry tells me they
are en-route) and when I've installed them I'll do a full power
firing of the coil and report on my results.  It does look to
be very encouraging in that the dummy load resistors may not be
needed if series resistors are installed instead.  A definate
benefit both electrically and physically.

J.B. Weazle McCreath, VE3EAR      Web:    www.solwind.on.ca
c/o Solwind Enerco Inc.,          E-mail: weazle-at-solwind.on.ca
36620 Saltford Road,              Home:   (519) 524-7420
Aerial Acres, R.R. 4,             Work:   (519) 524-8703
Goderich, On., N7A 3Y1            Fax:    (519) 524-6108