Re: Help Need part by 31Oct01

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Matt, Terry

I like that 10kA fuse (LOL).   Only I saw the results on a motor on 460, 3ph in
an industrial plant (how about the motor terminal box and 1/3 of the casing
of a
30HP motor vaporized???)  It led to a huge investigation and edict from the
seniorVP of the division that ANY unauthorized electrical changes made on
production machinery without an Engineering Change Notice or direct
Engineering supervision was a firing offense. It only "blew" a 4kA main fuse
in the main switch gear room    ;^).  Dam.. the copper slugs survived, but the
load didn't...   :^C

All kidding aside, breaker on a variac is a good idea, you'll need some type of
"soft start" or "step-start" to prevent tripping the breaker on energizing the
variac tho...

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA