RE: Removing MOT and Cap

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Patrick

There should be a bleeder resistor across the cap that would discharge it in
a few moments. The resistor is either internal or external to the cap. There
are plenty of insulated wires in the oven that you can use to short the cap.
The cap's terminals are recessed making it hard to short with a screwdriver.
Its always good to play it safe. Remove the transformer, cap, and diode
assembly with wires still attached. Sometimes the diode is inside the
cap.Then you can study the arrangement of the connections. Go to
http://www.corridor-dot-net/deano/teslapag.htm for a discussion of microwave
oven transformer power supplies. By the way, there are a couple of cool
magnets in the magnetron. Don't bash the magnetron apart as the magnets are
brittle and will easy break. There is nothing in the magnetron that is toxic
to you with ordinary handling. Be careful as an electric shock from the
transformer will be extremely painful or even fatal!

Godfrey Loudner