Re: Looking for run caps, urgent

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dave Kyle by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>

> I have purchased some decent 35 uf AC PF caps from C&H Sales for about $6.00
> a piece http://www.aaaim-dot-com/CandH/index.htm. I would bet that Apex also has
> some http://www.apexelectronic-dot-com/index3.htm.

> Which brings me to a question; are the metal cans of large AC caps isolated?

	In my experience they are, for DC/110voltish AC.

> I was wondering if when mounting them in my system if I should ensure that
> the metal cases are isolated or if I can pack them together (i.e. touching
> each other) to save space.

	In an AC, and more so AC RF, there is no such thing (roughly)
	as 'isolated'.
		Anything has stay capacity to everything else.
		and
		ANYthing (at HV) does have some sort of breakdown
		voltage to 'everything else'.

	Such caps, in normal applications are typically metal
	case, mounted to random (usually 'grounded'). metal
	surfaces.  Its a question for controlled test/experiment,
	or, perhaps, an inquiry to the manufacturer...

	If used as power factor correction, I'd think no leakage
	precautions necessary.  If ganged, as for a tank cap,
	things may get more puzzling...

	best
	dwp