Re: Rotary gaps...

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

<rblaisdell-at-juno-dot-com>

> I know alot of people are going to triggered gaps, but I got some
> questions on rotary gaps.
>
> We aqcuired a 3600rpm synchronous motor we have 8 flying electrodes and 2
> stationary ones.  Giving us 480 breaks a second.
> Ok.  We are using ywo 15/30's and an approximately .012uf 30kvac  homeade
> cap.  My question is, is it better to have this many bps or less or more.
>

> How have some of yall done the phase adjusting tests.  i.e. the
> flourescent tube and a white line across the disk holding the flying
> electrodes.
>
> BTW we calculated that the flying electrodes are movin at 107mph,
> or 156 feet per second.  This thing sounds and looks neat.
>
> I plan on getting pictures on my webpage soon.  Too bad we did not get
> chronological pictures only the end results.
>
> thanks,
> Ry

Hi Ry...

the BPS of a SRSG is determined by the speed your transformer can charge
the cap to its
fullest potential within the 120Hz AC waveform ( well actually 60 HZ but in
a 60 HZ
waveform the cap gets charged 2 times per full cycle)   if your transformer
can charge
the cap to full potential faster than the normal 120 times per second than
a faster BPS
can be used  in effect you can use the rise time charge rate twice before
it peaks and
goes to the negative side ( but as I mentioned your transformer needs to
have some
serious OOOMPH ) ....

soo  it basically is charge rate is determined by the size of the cap and
the amount of
amperage your transformer can supply...

if you have a small trannie and a big cap, charge time may take longer than
the rise
time to peak AC wave and you will not see a full charge to the cap and
available power
to pump the primary will be lacking...

use one of the Tesla Coil programs to semi determine the cap size and
transformer size
compatabilty ...

Scot D