From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2001 12:06 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: LTR question, high voltage wire.

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Jim, All,

Just to add here regarding high current components and wire. I had an
experience today at work trying to
kill a polyswitch which has been burning up in the field. I used 18awg
through a 60A pulse solenoid and 2
car battery's for 24v as a high current supply. Couldn't kill it. Found I
could only draw 25 amps. I
doubled up on the wire, and presto - I fried 3 of them quickly (battery
connection arc caused a high
enough voltage/current pulse to carbon track the molecular layer -
simulated the 40A relay used in the
field - clamping diode should be the solution). What interested me was the
single 18awg wire was limiting
current. I assumed it would be large enough, but I was wrong.

In regards to primary circuits, I can see the need to have a high current
conductor regardless of flat or
round types (I really don't see a benefit between one or the other). It
makes me wonder how many TC's are
running weak primary circuit wiring and not realizing it may be current
limiting the circuit. I'm not
sure, it's just a thought I had.

Take care,
Bart