Re: Photo Question

Original poster: "Mark Hales by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <markhals-at-dircon.co.uk>

Marc...
Poke and hope is the best method here.
Sorry to be vague, but there are a lot of parameters to consider when
photographing running coils.
What do you want to see? Single streamers, multi streamers, so called 'banjo
effect', background detail?
Will you be in total darkness, partial light, full light, sunlight?
If you check out my credited photos found at

http://www.tcbouk-dot-org.uk

Events Cambridge2000, &

http://freespace.virgin-dot-net/michael.tucknott/cambridg.html

you'll see a variety of types, both lit and unlit.
A short exposure wide ap will give single streamers with a blurred
background. A longer exposure will give multi streamers/banjo effect.
If however, you're in an interesting area such as the Cambridge Steam
museum, the background is desirable and this will mean a smaller ap. This
will mean fainter streamers unless you put the exposure time up and this can
then wash everything out, if the scene is brightly lit.
Ideally, a fine grain film/slide film would be best, so aim for 64 - 200
asa. My personal preference is Konica and I generally stay away from Kodak.
Cambridge and Mikes coil, I used around f9 at 60th to125th second.
I've played with 3200 asa and also push processed film to 6400, but unless
you want the result, the grain will be very evident Film and processing
isn't dear these days so I'd go along with 36 exp 100asa Konica, set ten
shots on auto, ten with auto ap variable timing from 1 sec to 125th, ten
with auto timing and aps of whatever your fastest is to f16.
Take a notebook and record every setting, and surrounding conditions.
Tedious for some, but interesting if photography floats your boat.
Failing that, poke and hope will give some results that please and a digi
camera+laptop will never fail you.
Cheers, Mark H.