Re: wiring conventions.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/13/01 11:16:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hello Coilers,
>
> My two cents worth on the subject of "standardised" color coding
> of the wiring in your coil is this.  For the AC supply leads to
> the transformer primaries, SRSG motors, sucker gap blowers, etc.,
> I would advise sticking to the convention as used here in North
> America...WHITE = Neutral, GREEN = Ground, and any other color
> is used for the Hot.  As to the rest of the wiring, whatever
> tickles your fancy and looks cool!!  That's just my opinion.
>

> 73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Hi Weazle et. al,
        It is precisely because there are TWO different North American
Standards that prompted the question. I know the white=neutral, black=hot,
green=ground standard applies to building wiring, power generation, stationery
machinery, and hard-wired devices such as garbage disposals, etc. However, the
INTERNAL wiring of all Electronic devices with power cords, (e.g., Radios, TVs,
Amplifiers, PC Monitors, PCs, Nintendos, etc.) all use the black=ground, other
colors=various degrees of hot standard.  Since the new control console is on
wheels and has power cords in and out, albeit with rather massive 30Amp,
twistlock plugs and sockets, that I felt this was enough of a gray area to
raise the questions. Ah! Perhaps the gray areas should all be done in gray
wire?? ;-))
My next coil will be for the local Art & Science Center and that one will
probably be maintained by other people and will have to conform to some arcane
standards. Perhaps just posting wiring diagrams with color codes inside is the
best option.

Matt D.