Re: Tube switch (was -tube coils)

Original poster: "Michael Rhodes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rhodes-at-fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2001 1:00 AM
Subject: Re: Tube switch (was -tube coils)

> a hydrogen thyratron requires a variable regulated filament supply to
> controlthe gas presure inside while being used. If not used, no
tube...dead.
>    Robert H

Sorry but that is not always the case.  The thyratron for the pulse
modulator
on my klystron went bad (It does uses a separate reservoir heater for
control
of the titanium hydride --a bi-directional source for the hydrogen).
However
that tube was no longer available and I obtained one where the reservoir is
connected directly to the cathode heater.  I removed the original reservoir
heater transformer and rheostat.  Many are of this latter configuration.

An excellant document on thryatron theory is available in .pdf format on my
site at http://www.fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th/ftp/thyratron-theory.pdf (365k)
and includes triggering circuits.