Fwd: Re: Current regulation for Variac

Original poster: "Skip Malley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <skipmalley-at-catskill-dot-net>

Matt,
I do not know what you have in your house for an electrical system, but, in
the US, we have circuit breakers that will blow much slower than a slow
blow fuse.  The house is protected by these breakers.  If your electrical
system is anything like our's , then you will not burn down the house.  It
is probably the variac itself that is blowing the breaker.  These things
can have an large initial turn-on current spike.  I would trust the
electrical system in the house to protect itself.  The circuit breakers in
a house electrical system are meant to protect the house from long term
over heating of the wires and electrical outlets.  If you go to the next
larger size fuse that will not blow, you will be OK.

Skip