how to tune a medium sized coil

Original poster: "Shaun Epp by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <scepp-at-mts-dot-net>

Hello you'll,

I need your help again

I'm nearly complete my TC running a 12Kv at 60mA tranny.  I have a variac
too and I was wonder if it would be safe to tune with power through the
variac (run low at first), or
do I need pre-tune first with a oscilloscope and signal generator?

I've read that I need to check the secondary with top load frequency and
then the primary tank cct and tune it to match.  I guess adjusting coupling
would be easier with test equipment but this all sound like a tedious
process.

What experiences have the readers had on this, Any input guys??

Shaun Epp,   slowly building a tesla coil.