Re: pig reconditioning

Hi Greg,

Usually they clean up, repaint, reseal, and retest pigs that are
reconditioned.  Mostly just body work.  Pigs that fail usually do so very
dramatically and there is not much left.

I would think checking the thing with an ohm meter to be sure the windings
are there and equal and maybe peeking inside it to see if the oil looks
clean would be all that is needed to be quite sure it is in good condition.
 Pigs that look ok are almost always replaced due to other reasons besides
failure.  When they are removed, they are almost always cleaned up and
rechecked but that is mostly just to keep them looking good.  Pigs that
look good as your picture shows are good 99.9% of the time.  Only very high
power impulse testing would be likely to find an electrical problem.
Replacing gaskets, oil, insulators, and paint is the stuff that keeps the
reconditioning places busy.  They just discard the really bad pigs.  You
will note there is not a big pile of bad ones around ;-))

You may be a bit concerned about water getting inside them if the seals
look bad but the one in the picture looks perfectly fine to me.

Cheers,

	Terry