Current regulation for Variac

Original poster: "Tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-tezla-dot-com>

Hi all.

I have a small question about variacs. I have a 3,5kVA variac(Uin=230V).
When i bring it online it sometimes(about 1/3 of the times) it draws so much
current from the mains that my 10A fuse blows although i don't have any load,
except the variac itself.
Is there some way to correct the powerdrain with say a choke or something to
make it "turn on" smooth? This problem is really annoying.
Thought i hear with you guys first.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

//Matt