Megger test.

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hey guys,

As afore mentioned, I priced a reconditioned pole pig at $1045
Australian. However, they will sell me an unconditioned unit for $500
Australian (about $250 US). They say the only test they will do on the
transformer is a megger test. What is a megger test? Is this a reliable
indication of the transformers integrity? Would you guys suggest saving
for the reconditioned unit or buying the "as is" unit? I figure I can
buy two of the "as is" uints for the price of 1 reconditioned unit, and
the chances of both being duds are minimal. What do you think?

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland