Calculation of tank cap

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

Hello Coilers,

I know, how to calculate the "line-frequency-resonant" capacitance
of tank caps for use with NSTs and asynchron gaps like statics
and ARSGs. From the list I have learnt, that with synchron gaps
like SRSGs and TSGs, it's much better/safer to use LTRs, having
got about 1.5 times the calculated capacitance.

As I want to test and compare both types of spark gaps in my next
system, I would like to ask you for your assistance:

NSTs are hard to come by in this part of the world. Therefore I'll use
either a pair of LV-ballasted MOTs (for 4 kVrms) or two MOTs
driving level shifters (for 12 kV pulsed dc). The first solution will use
inductive ballast and the second one has got a kind of built-in
capacitice ballast. IMO(!) these ballasts need to be included in the
calculations.

Q: How should I calculate the capacity of LTR-tank caps for both
types of power supplies?

Safe coiling to you!

Herwig