Re: (variac Qs)

Tesla list wrote:

> Hi Alex,

> At 04:30 PM 11/28/2001 -0500, you wrote:

> >1.)One of the variac is a 2000w 16.7a  0-120v luxtrol light control.

> >a) Is there a way to make it a 0-140v so I can over voltage may
>> transformer?
> >Where and how can this be accomplished?

	Check the variac (i'm assuming it is one....).  See
	if it has any taps present, but not wired out.  Many do,
	tho they may not be hooked up for a given application.

>> I would think this can beaccomplished by removing some of the
>>variac’s primary.

	Subject to correction, I've never met a variac with a primary.
	They all (?) are autotransformers, which means there is
	no primary or secondary, as such...

>> I did not have time to open it up and figure out exactly how a variac
>> works (I know it is a variable tap point but that is it)

	'tis a deal more than that.

>> and I cant find any schematics for a variac.

	I'd suggest a library, and keep digging.
	All I've met are a single winding, with a variable tap.
	Look up 'autotransformer'.

> "I" would not mess with it,

	tend to concur.

> but all you would need to do is tap the winding back about 85% and
> feed the 120VAC in there.

	Concur...

> Then the wiper would be able to travel to higher voltages.
> Variacs are over designed enough to take a little modification.

	Concur...

> >Alex Madsen
> >http://www.geocities-dot-com/alexmadsen
> >PS It is nice that some of you like to criticize my grammar and spelling.
> >However, I dyslexic, so it is a lost cause. I would just like to point out
> >that this is a technical forum and not and English class. I also don’t need
> >to here that to succeed I need to be abele to writ well. First of all am
> >made it into one of the engineering schools in the country and second of all
> >I can write will if some one proof reeds for me.
> >OK enough ranting.

> If anyone bothers you "too" much let me know.  We once had an obnoxious
> spelling freak on the list that hassled people about spelling and grammar
> and they had to be "exterminated" since they refused not to stop bothering
> people...  We all try to do the best we can and that is good enough ;-)  If
> it were not for spellcheck, "I" would be indecipherable (I speeled that
> right all by myself :-)))...

	Welllll.
	On the other hand, some attention to, at least, spelling is quite
	helpful.  eg: if doing a web search, it works better with
	Tesla than, say, Tecla.

	best
	dwp