Re: Primary Coil parameters?? wire size and spacing...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/27/01 9:21:52 AM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I'm reposting a previous question (no response first time around):
>
> For my first coils primary, I used 1/4" copper tubing and 1/4" spacing
> between the turns (1/2" between turn centers).  That was with three
> 15/60 NST's.  For my next (second) coil, I'm adding a fourth 15/60, and
> would like to someday replace the NST's with a pole pig.  For this next
> coil then, should I use 3/8" tubing and/or 3/8" spacing between turns?
>
>        Thanks,
>        - Bill Vanyo

Hi Bill,

I'll take a stab at it this time :-) I use 5/8" copper tubing
for the primary coil of my piggie powered system, but
that may be a bit of overkill. However, if I were were
going to ere at all, I would ere towards bigger :-) 1/2"
tubing would probably be plenty large for a pole pig
powered system and you may get by just fine with
3/8" although that may be pushing a bit towards "too
small", especially with a 10kVA or larger pole pig.

The spacing being equal to the diameter of the tubing
is a good rule of thumb for primary construction that
has always given me reliable results so far (no turn/
turn arcing).

David Rieben