Re: Bart's Coil - The Toroid

Hi John, All,
(a comment or two below)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

> To All -
>
> <bandwidth snippage>
>  Bart found the test operating frequency for his TC was 68.9 KHz.

Exactly. I measured the frequency with top load in place and then verified
against E-Tesla6. Then
simply adjust the toroid capacitance until the output frequency in a design
program matches. Pretty
simple and ensures design programs are given accurate inputs.

If coilers want to do this and can't measure Fr for some reason, then
E-Tesla6 is still the best
possible choice to find Fr, especially in confined spaces such as garages,
labs, etc.. and with
various top load sizes, all of which affects the resonant frequency.

> There is a lot more to the design of Tesla coils but the most important
> condition is that the TC must be in tune and that is what the above
> accomplishes. For this condition you must know the true capacitance of the
> toroid when it is placed on the secondary coil. Coilers in the past did not
> know this and believed the calculations and programs did not work.
>
> John Couture

Yes, the programs work as long as their given accurate inputs. Although
trial and error are the
methods of some, I'd rather design on paper (or computer) first and then
build to it. But just like
any other calculator, you have to use it a few times to get use to it. And,
there's nothing stopping
anyone from learning all the equations being used for the various outputs.
For JavaTC, I keep a link
to the various equations at the bottom of the JavaTC page. BTW, JavaTC is
at v7.14 as of today. It's
always good to refresh (reload) the page to ensure your browser isn't using
a cached copy (some
formatting changed - no content - so no big deal).

Take care,
--
Barton B. Anderson
http://www.classictesla-dot-com