DC Charging Reactors for TCs

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

I have been using 1 to 3 MOT secondaries in series as a DC Charging Reactor
to power my TC.  3 in series (about 48 Henry) allows my to slow down the RSG
more before the gap dwell time becomes too much and it power arcs.

Richie Burnett suggested the reactor should have an air gap.  He said "I
think the problem here most likely lies with the charging choke.  I believe
such a choke should have an air gap for several reasons.  Firstly,  this
increases the energy storage capability of the device.  A classic
transformer is designed to transform energy,  not store it.  Whereas,  we
want a ballast choke or charging reactor to store energy.  There is a clear
difference here and this is why welders, variacs, and MOT's do not make good
ballasts for TC use.

Secondly,  the air-gap prevents saturation.  I think this is also important
in your application since current always flows through the choke in the same
direction.  I think that this would tend to saturate the core if there is
not an air gap in place.  Most smoothing reactors in old Tube Power Supplies
had air gaps for this very purpose."

This is very interesting.  What is the list's (e.g. Greg Leyh) wisdom on the
best design for DC charging reactors?

Thanks,
--Steve