Re: my mini coil that doesn't work

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Robert by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<obiwan1186-at-sunflower-dot-com>

>I've been working on my mini coil for a while now and i just can't seem
>to get much performance out of it. the best I can do right now is 5"
>arcs to ground with 15/30 input. here are the specs.
>
>primary: 15 degree slanted primary with 9 turns. taps at about 5
>
>secondary: 1.5 by 12 wound with 1000 turns of 30 guage wire. bottom turn
>is grounded to bottom turn of the primary. i've tried grounding it to an
>RF ground, attaching it to the primary works just as good.
>
>capacitor: .0015 geek mmc bank
>
>gap: tcbor gap cooled with 120 cfm fan hooked up to variac. (the fan
>improves performance a little, but not much.)
>
>topload: small dryer duct bent into a torroid and covered in aluminum tape.

Hi Robert...

looking at the first pic on the list I noticed that the toroid is a bit
large for the tube size...
try something about 5-6" in dia. total width and about 1-2" dia in
height...  ummm how about one of those styrofoam "donuts" that are
available from craft shops for making Xmas wreaths from...

also noticed that you have wires laying on top of each other ...   even
though the wire may be rated for 10+ KV and you are pumping 9KV thru ...
there still is "leakage" thru the insulation and crossed wires is a good
source for "leakage" ( less power ) ..

as far as wiring goes...   it looks as if you have the caps in series
with the coil primary and the spark gap+NST   I like to run the
safetygap and cap in paralell with the legs of the HiVolt trannie and
the Sparkgap in series with the primary..( I guess this is when personal
preferences are considered  )   with the setup I prefer, the connections
to the caps are secure all the time and not dependent upon the
connection made on the primary ( which is normally "loose")

even tho your coil is a minicoil...  try making amends to ground the
secondary base to a ground instead of the primary....   or maybe try a
ground plane ( a 24X24" piece of paneling covered with aluminum foil )

Scot D