re:transformer theory q

Hi Peter,

On 20 Nov 2001, at 18:01, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

> Many thanks for all the responses so far to the transformer theory question.
> I think the answer to question 1 can be summarized as:
>
> 	fewer turns in the primary lowers its inductance and causes the
> 	primary current to increase (at least when the secondary is unloaded,
> 	not so sure about the loaded case). the effect is rather large,
> 	a 10% decrease in primary turns can cause 5x primary current in the
> 	unloaded condition.

That figure was for a particular transformer. It may be more or less
in other transformers depending on how the manufacturer designed and
rated them.

    Assuming the winding window is packed tight with copper in both
the following cases:

The case with fewer primary AND secondary turns to maintain the same
output voltage: Magnetizing current increases, copper losses in the
primary due to magnetizing current increases (dramatically and out of
proportion to the decrease in primary turns), losses in both windings
due to load current decreases (assuming you use a larger wire size to
compensate for fewer turns)

> I still have not heard a clear answer to part 2, what happens (to the primary
> current) when there are more than the recommended primary turns (take +10%
> as an example).

The unloaded case with more primary turns (and secondary turns to
maintain the same output voltage): Magnetizing (no load) current
decreases, copper losses due to magnetizing current decrease
somewhat, copper loss in both windings due to load currrent increases
due to the smaller wire size in both windings.

> I am thinking of trying many taps on a test primary and finding the one that
> minimizes the primary current (in the unloaded secondary condition), does
this
> make sense? If I do this what happens when I put the shunts back in (or some
> fraction of the shunts), or should I do the experiment with the shunts?

It should be clear from the cases stated that there is an optimum
winding configuration for a transformer loaded to its ratings
continuously. In Tesla use however, more often than not, transformers
are pushed beyond their ratings for intermittent use (which is OK as
long as the windings are not allowed to get too hot for the
insulation, bobbin etc.).

       In the case of the transformer where I reduced the primary
turns, that was the only thing I changed. The primary heated a great
deal more (quickly too) and the output voltage was 10%+ higher under
load. In fact, load current in both windings increased as I was
pulling more power due to the higher secondary voltage with the same
load impedance and secondary heating due to load current increased as
well.

       I later rewound the primary with thicker wire and the fewer
turns to alleviate the extra heating in that winding somewhat.

Regards,
malcolm