Re: transformer theory q

Hi Dave,

On 18 Nov 2001, at 22:08, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> > Hi Godfrey
>
> > In a message dated 11/14/01 3:08:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > writes:
> > Snip - - -
>
> > > Also using less turns in the primary will increase the number of
> >>secondary turns necessary to get one volt from the secondary.
>
> > You sure about that?
>
> 	Its a subtle point.
> 	The straight turns ratio, as others have noted, is a good
> 	teaching tool.  However it oversimplifies some aspects of
> 	real world transformer design.  These aspects, as covered
> 	by others, become significant when 'power' is involved.
>
> 	(Historical note:
> 	One of the things Tesla provided/sold to Westinghouse was
> 	the 'know how' to make transformer design more real world...)
>
> > Seems Bassackwards from "the way we was larned in school".
>
> 	Certain simplifications take place in some training.

True. However, I have actually done exactly what was suggested and
the turns ratio still holds good when coupling is close to 1, no
matter what state (of saturation) the core's in. Coupling between the
windings seems to be based solely on the proximity of the windings to
one another. Works that way in TCs too.

Regards,
malcolm