Re: Secondary preparation and capping

I feel I must jump in here with the advice that I'd never give (since I
wouldn't follow it myself), but I am sure that others are champing at the
bit...
With tongue firmly in cheek:

Telsa coil building is a esoteric and arcane art.  What makes you think that
its secrets would be revealed to a mere muggle as yourself (I saw Potter
this afternoon with the kids).  We, who have spent thousands of hours in
quiet contemplation, know that true performance can only be achieved if one
is truly one with one's materials.  One must mine the copper ore oneself
(or, even better, find native copper washed up on the shores of Lake
Superior), refine it, make diamond dies to draw the wire, polish every
centimeter with jeweler's rouge, and only then, contemplate the manufacture
of a suitable insulating coating.

We then prospect for only the purest Pennsylvania crude oil (paraffin based,
so somehow more pure than that nasty asphalt based stuff we have in
California), which we refine into the raw stream for vinyl. We search for
the purest sea water, collected at a natural energy vortex (I'm fond of  the
South Atlantic Anomaly), then electrolyze it to get the chlorine necessary
for making PVC.

After mining and smelting the iron ore necessary to make the stainless steel
reaction vessels, only then do we contemplate manufacture of the purest
virgin plastic for our secondary forms.

You get the idea....

Just wind the darn thing, cleaning off the big mud spots first (or not, as
you please), get some sparks going, and then start building your second one.
There are so many variables and choices to make, that tesla coiling is a
fine vehicle for "analysis paralysis".