Re: Secondary preparation and capping

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

HI Patrick,

In a message dated 11/18/01 6:04:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Patrick Bloofon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <transactoid-at-home-dot-com>
>
> I am currently in the process of building my first coil. What I'm wonder is
> how necessary is it to sand down the secondary before winding it? My PVC has
> been sitting in my basement for a few years, so it's good and dry.  If I
> just cover it in a layer of polyurathane, do I *really* need to sand out
> every little bump, and the letters (which are red, not black)? This just
> seems like a lot of extra work, and I don't see how it would make that much
> of a difference.

I just wiped mine down with PVC cleaner which removes dirt and the ink
regardless of color. Doing it indoors gives you a real buzz... NOT recommended.
Sanding small blemishes is 99% cosmetic.

> Secondly, does it make any difference where the caps (as in the plugs) for
> the secondary are placed? I don't have access to the tools necessary to make
> nice round circles to plug the ends with, so would just sticking PVC end caps
> on be acceptable?

I have used PVC end caps with great success. Try to get the flat rather than
convex kind. I have also used a PVC toilet flange as the bottom coil support.
If you put a slightly undersized, almost round, plug in the end with a lot of
silicone caulking, it will work just fine.