Re: transformer theory q

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

> Tranformer gurus,
>                  I might actually make some progress on my mechanical
> xfrmr winding jig over Thanksgiving holiday, so I have a question
> about xfrmr design.

> If I follow the design guide at for example
>         http://members.tripod-dot-com/~schematics/xform/xformer1.htm
> I get a certain number of turns in the primary to match the core
> cross section of the laminated core that I have obtained.

> What if I use fewer turns in the primary to up the turns ratio
> (I've only got so much room for secondary turns in a fixed winding
> window size).

> What happens with fewer primary turns than "recomended" for a
> given core.

	How MUCH less?

		1% ?
			10%?

	I'd expect reducing the runs to reduce the impedance,
	increasing the current drawn (neglecting the ballast, if any,
	for the moment).  Increasing the current would risk
	saturating the core, overheating it and the unit as a whole.

	If a ballast is to be used to control the primary current,
	the saturation ought to be avoidable.

	Reducing the primary winding count would also increase the
	secondary voltage.

		best
		dwp