Re: What to do with spool while winding?

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Patrick,

OK - a strange question deserves a strange answer!  I see others have
described a few ways to put the wire spool on an axle.  Well, consider an
alternative which worked very well for me.

Mount the spool so you can pull the wire off parallel to the axis of the
spool.  Yes, the wire twists that way, but it seems to make no difference in
the final product.  This avoids the need for the spool to turn.

I ran my wire through two pieces of foam rubber to apply a slight tension to
the wire.  This seemed to keep everything under control.  I was able to wind
a pair of 4 inch secondaries in about 10 minutes each using #23 wire with no
danger of breaking the wire.

Some cautions:  the edge of the wire spool must be smooth so as to not
damage the wire.  If not, put some tape over it to smooth it.  Also, this
works best with a factory wound spool of wire so that the wire comes freely
off the spool.

--Steve