Re: Ballast

Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Mark,

> I'm planning to make a gapped core ballast with an MOT core. I'm looking
to get
> around 16amps, or 8amps if I use my variac to take the voltage to 240v.
Anyway,
> can I just use the original primary as the winding for the ballast?

You CAN, but really they dont take more than 8A current unless you get an
industrial one. What I would do is to have 2 in paralell both at 4A because
if you dont they get so darned hot. likewise, 16A is pushing it, but you can
so long as the runs are kept under about 1 minute. I would cut off the
secondary winding and the 10V filament winding, and just use the primary.

>Also I
> don't have anything to measure the current with. Will radioshack have good
enough meters?
Quite possibly, but I warn you now... dont get a digital meter because the
feedback from a TC will kill it instantly. I reccommend getting a cheap
analogue shunt meter to measure current in. I would also recommend getting a
fire extinguisher if you plan to use the MOTs :)