Re: Triggered gap-LOUD

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 11/05/01 4:26 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>

> I saw in
>> Edmund scientific catalog I think 2 or 3 years ago a special
>> rubber that convert sound wave energy in heat.
>
> Couldn't something like this be used to see how much energy is being
> dissipated in the gap?
> Marc
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Luc Benard
>>
>> snip
>>>
>>> Foam rubber packing with rough a surface like an egg carton is about the
>>> best sound absorber you can get. I used it to line my basement gun room
> so I
>>> could shoot 30-06 and 12 ga in my house in the winter with out bothering my
>>> family with noise. It worked very well. I'm quite shure if it  will stop 06
>>> noise it will supress a spark gap pop.
>>> Robert H

Ihave used the special carbon impregnated heat converting RF absorbing rough
surface foam rubber made to do the job. At the time it cost 20$ per sq ft, I
bet it now costs twice that. The promo from the advertising suggests it is
made by Clark Kent on his home planet. It isn't worth the cost, and it has a
short life span. The foam rubber made for packing with a grey color, not
white, is far better and dosent degrade with UV light.
   Robert H
   PS> I used 400 sq ft of the junk and replaced it all with grey foam that
worked well for less money.