Re: TSG with DC?

In a message dated 11/3/01 10:49:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Can any of you provide ideas for using a TSG with a pure DC (i.e. filtered)
>  power supply?  Specifically, I need ideas on how to prevent a power arc
when
>  the TSG fires.  That is, some method which transfers almost all of the DC
>  supply energy to the MMC, not to the TSG.

Steve,

How about a charging choke and diode at the output of the supply,
such as Greg Leyh uses?

>  I can only think of two ways:  1) have a tremendous blast of air through
the
>  gap to "blow out" the power arc - so it functions something like a RSG at
>  high speed,

I don't think a rotary should ever break the arc.  The gap should
quench when the cap energy dissipates, and the voltage at that
time should be low as the cap is beginning to recharge.  By
the time the voltage gets high, the electrodes are already far
apart. The TSG should behave identically I would think, provided
it doesn't get overheated.  Both the rotary and the TSG should
determine when the gap fires, but not really when it quenches.

Cheers,
John