Re: Pole Xfrmer, what is the best voltage choice???.....

In a message dated 11/2/01 1:03:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

David,

Well first of all,  I would not buy a pole xfrmer based on my rolled
cap, rather I would select a cap based on the pole xfrmer I already
had, esp if it's a desireable 14.4kV one.  I forget if you said you
were using a rotary or a static gap, but I do know that with a
rotary, a 12kV NST can blow out a non-series'd 60mil rolled cap.
A static cap may blow it out too if the gap is too wide, and the
cap is a resonant value.  When I used to run my 14.4kV PT's
with the 60mil rolled caps, I used to use 4 caps, in series/parallel,
so that there was always two series caps across the xfrmer.
The rolled caps were 0.018uF each, so my total cap value
of the combo was still 0.018uF.  I ran this at about 600 bps
with at rotary.   You could just simply keep your pole pig
turned down to about 10kV by using a variac.  Nevertheless,
I don't like to put more than 8kVAC of transformer juice across
a 60mil rolled caps.  The pole pig may have abused your caps
so they were ready to blow anyway when the NST killed it.
You could build some MMC caps, and add them in parallel
with the rolled caps you have.  Or buy some pulse caps on
Ebay.

John

>  Yes, but if I series them, I'll need 8 /60mil caps. My 8" coil used 2
R.Hull