Re: Pole Xfrmer, what is the best voltage choice???.....

Hi Jason,

On 1 Nov 2001, at 19:11, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> David,
>
> I would go for a higher voltage, because remember the energy contained
> within a cap is 1/2*CV^2, the v^2 being the important part. Also it will
> make for less los and much less gap problems.. especially if youre using a
> static gap!!!!

It is the primary current that determines gap loss. 7.5kV and a large
cap is perfectly acceptable if the primary inductance is high enough.
The general guideline then is that if you go this route, low
frequency running is highly desirable. Ironically that implies using
a large secondary to get the frequency low without incurring serious
copper losses.

Regards,
malcolm