RE: I wonder ...

Original poster: "Garry Freemyer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <garry-at-ndfc-dot-com>

Hi Alan. Well you may disagree but my experience with the 12/60 Jefferson
was QUITE different than yours and I am not alone in this experience. No
offense taken or intended, but I don't lie.

I think Terry was one who had difficulty with a Jefferson. Whoever the two
people who mentioned bad experiences with Jefferson's please speak up! There
was one who said the layers were tarpaper and also were disolved along with
the tar. Mine is completely ruined because half of the paper on one side was
completely disolved away leaving a birdnest of ruined windings. The tar
resisted desolving like mad. I put the thing in an oven and I set the
temperature to 200 degrees. After 45 minutes, the tar was still hard as a
rock. I increased it to 250. Another hour and the tar looked shiney but hard
as a rock. I increased to 300 for 30 minutes and it still pretty hard. I set
it to 350 for another  hour and it was just softened a little. I ended up
setting it up to 425 or so before the tar began to start running. I finally
got a good portion of the tar out and then I plugged it in to see what was
up and I immediately got sparks from the windings to the case. The area
between the case and the windings had no insulation. There was NO tar and
never was any tar between the windings and the case as the area of the case
was clean as driven snow and I would think that if there were ever tar
there, it would be left on the inner side of the case.

I soaked the thing in mineral spirits for two weeks and then looked at it.
Only the outside surface of the tar had softened and it was protecting the
inner surface. There were large parts of the tar that were had as stone. A
month or two later I looked at the unit and the condition was much the same
with large stone like portions of tar covered in a whitish substance.
Contrast this with the two Allansons I depotted. They were virtually clean
in a month of soaking. I soaked this unit from Mid November till the last
week in April and the tar was finally softened enough to remove with a brush
but the tar had a fiberous stringy consistancy as if it were full of sewing
thread. I carefully brushed off the unit under the tar and removed it and
here was half the secondary insulation eaten away leaving the windings
sticking out in space.

I'm not particularly concerned about removing shunts. I get quite
satisfactory performance with the allanson I depotted and besides, its too
loud already! ;-)

I guess, all I can do is calmly say, that your experience doesn't even
remotely jive with mine and a couple others on the list. I don't doubt what
you relate. I'm just a little mystified as to why your experience can be so
different than mine. The only difference I can see is you used a BBQ and Gas
and depotted two quite successfully and I used an Oven and mineral spirits
and I only depotted one. Perhaps it was the extended soaking I gave the unit
that finally even broke down the paper? How long did you have to soak them
in Gasoline? How hot do you estimate you had to get the tar to melt? A bbq
sounds like it could easily get to over 400 degrees.