Racing arc clues...

Hi All,

We are working on racing arcs on the TSSP project.  Here is an interesting
point during the secondary ring up for a k=0.12 and k=0.20 situation:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Vgrad.jpg

The differences are sort of subtle but many clues are being noted.

I was wondering if having the secondary "clean" as opposed to being dusty
or dirty made racing arcs worse?  I am thinking that dirt would make
ionization do to rapid voltage changes more likely.

I also know that "over coupling" and "mistuning" are factors.  Are there
any other consistent things that have an bearing on this?

Where do racing arcs tend to occur most?  I have often heard near the base
of the coil but I think they sometimes appear near the top.  It 3rd
harmonics are a factor, that may make some sense.

Still many unknowns but looking for more clues...

Cheers,

	Terry