RE: Brass Ball static spark gap not doing so well

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Pete,

I want to piggyback on what Deano said.  I've also had
bad pitting problems with brass, so I dumped it in
favor of copper, which seems much more durable.
However, I did use 1/4" treaded brass rod for my
Asynch RSG, and it worked out pretty well. The brass
still evaporates away, but the rod is too small
diameter to exhibit any pitting.  Instead, the entire
rod tip slowly eats away.  When the gap finally gets
too wide due to erosion, I simply re-gap, and I'm good
to go for a few more weeks.  This is just for the
fixed electrodes.  I've never had to service the
flying electrodes, which are made of the same brass
rod material.

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg